Monday, December 27, 2010

A little violin concert

So, back in September, we got a note from the school informing the parents that orchestra was starting up, and any kids that were 4th grade and up were invited to participate. Scott wanted to do the violin, so we signed him up.

During the last week of school before Christmas vacation, I had four concerts to go to for three kids - two singing concerts (actually, three - one for each child in school - but two of them were on the same day, back to back) and two orchestra concerts. Every afternoon and evening was booked! BUSY!

Scott has been practicing hard for their Christmas concert, with his favorite song being "Carol of the Bells." He's even got that one memorized. So, they had a school concert, and a concert later that same evening at the high school. Scott was beaming, and I admit, I cried a bit. I'm so proud of my little Scottie bug. He's done such a good job and is really enjoying learning how to play the violin.

Way to go, Bug!


"Jolly Old St. Nicholas"


Scott & Mom before his evening performance


In playing position - isn't he handsome?

And, does anybody dress up for concerts anymore? I made my boys put on nice clothes for Scott's performance at the high school and they had a fit. I told them that at concerts, you're supposed to get dressed up, and that in some parts of the world, people go all out - evening gowns, dress gloves - the works.

When we got to the concert, most everyone there was in jeans, t-shirts (some of those weren't even nice jeans or shirts) - a couple of people even had shorts and sandals on (it's freezing outside). Seriously, do people not understand concert etiquette anymore? Even if it is a child's concert. Gah.



"Carol of the Bells"

No comments: