Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New calling

I have a new calling - well, an additional calling. I'm still the ward choir pianist (no surprise there. The other night I sat down and figured out that I have been the ward choir pianist in every ward I've ever lived in - which is six total, including the ward I grew up in - except our Sandy ward. Five wards, starting from the time I was 12 years old. Hmm. I see a pattern here.)

Anyway, my new calling is . . .




Primary Chorister!



The boys are stoked! Their momma - not quite as stoked. I think it'll be fun, but it's not the calling I had in mind. But, then again, I guess the Lord doesn't always give us the callings we had in mind, right? :)

Oh, and if any of the four of you that actually read my blog (I think there are four anyway - it doesn't seem like many people come here to visit me anymore. :) But, I digress . . .) If you have any ideas or your kids have any ideas of things they have loved about singing time, feel free to pass them on to me. Thanks!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Renee. (I must be # 5). Love ya.

ShazBraz said...

Braden was so cute when they read your name. You'll do great!

(oh, and it wasn't the calling we had in mind either...)

Natalie said...

I think you will love this! It is so much more than music. There are some really good ideas in the primary sharing time outline published every year, you just have to look for them. And I love when music leaders use hand motions (sign language or not), this really helps for the little ones to get involved. I also usually love ideas from sugardoodle.net, but have never looked into their singing time stuff. You will do great, the kids are lucky to have you!

The Woolley's said...

Well it looks like I'm the 4th one, although I really doubt only 4 people stalk you! Congrats on the calling, good luck, I know it would scare the heck out of me. Our last primary chorister would teach the kids sign language, and Anna still remembers and loves it. That's the only idea I have. You will do GREAT!!

Gilbrides said...

You will do amazing!! Isn't it funny sometimes what callings we do get. I bet when you are released from this calling it will feel weird to you :) And anything kids can help with or have a say in, I think works great. ---using hand signs for slow, fast, loud, and soft. Or singing while a temperature guage goes up.

Nathan and Shanna said...

Congrats Renee!! That is so awesome you'll do a SUPER job! I'll tell you the things ours does and we can swap ideas around! I'll e-mail you or call you I don't have time to type them all at the moment!
That is AWESOME!

Jen said...

:) Congrats, Renee--you're great with little ones, and you'll love singing with them and not just playing piano for the choir! :) After teaching preschool, I know the kids will eat up any kind of motions, dance moves, sign language, etc. :)

And honey, I ALWAYS check your blog. I'm sure there are WAY more than four of us...as evidenced by the comments on this post. :) LOVE YOU!

Hope said...

I read your blog! I'm just bad at commenting but I love keeping up on your family!

I had this calling for 3 years and loved it (and also loved being released but a lot of callings are like that). It took so much more energy than I thought - you have to be so animated and enthusiastic! But it really was fun and I enjoyed being a part of helping the kids learn to value music as part of their testimony. I have lots of ideas but I'm too lazy and there's not enough room to write them on here. When you have time, if you want to, give me a call and we can share thoughts about primary chorister ideas!
801-797-9127 (mornings or late afternoons are best)

The Goodrich's said...

More than 4 readers, that's for sure! Renee, you'll do awesome! Although, some callings can be super intimidating. Like mine which happens to be...ward choir pianist! But unlike you, I had never, ever done anything like this. Wish I had some good ideas to pass along, but I'm sure you'll come up with some great ones!