Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chocolate is my enemy . . .



S'mores, kisses, Reese's pieces, mint grasshopper cookies, hot chocolate, chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, m & m's, French Silk Pie . . . *sigh* The list goes on and on. Anything with cocoa in it - ANYTHING - is off limits. Connor's tummy just can't handle it.

I had a tiny sliver of Scott's cake yesterday (literally not even a full forkful - just a sliver), and by the next morning he was spitting up rivers of spit up, and was not his normal happy self. Fussing, then crying, then full out screaming ensued because his tummy hurt. He didn't even want to nurse, but eventually ate a little before zonking out because of all of the crying.

Then, today, I asked Brandon if he'd try to feed him a bottle just to see if he would take it. I had pumped some milk when my milk first came in, so we thawed that out and put it in a bottle. Brandon sat down with Connor while I hid myself out of sight. He started out a little fussy, but as soon as that milk hit his stomach - wow! Screaming/screeching like you wouldn't believe.

It took me about five minute to calm him down, and another five before he wanted to nurse. During that ten minutes it dawned on me - that milk is probably chuck full of chocolate. Brandon bought me some Keebler grasshopper cookies when I came home from the hospital, as a special treat for just me, and I had been eating them like crazy. (Mint, plus chocolate, plus crunchy graham is heaven.)

No wonder he went nuts - it hurt his tummy. So, we had to dump that milk, and will probably dump everything I have in the freezer (which is only about 8 more bags, each with about 2 - 4 oz in them) because I'm not sure exactly when I stopped eating chocolate.

*sigh* So, here's to my abstinence from chocolate. I hereby give you all permission to eat an extra slice of that cake, or one more handful of chocolate chips, or just one more s'more . . . for me.

6 comments:

Patti said...

I feel your pain sweetie! That's how Conni was - and we figured it out around Halloween with all the leftovers. I wish you luck finding indulgences that don't contain chocolate - my favorite was a payday bar. I hope this helps his tummy settle down too!

I'm trying to make it up to see you too - Conni is working off two ear infections. I'm trying to get up there after that - even if its just the two of us to take you and Connor to lunch :)

Hope you have a good week!

JanaG said...

Does that mean I get to eat an extra piece of the fudge I just made?!!

Sorry that is so not fun. Hope it gets better for you and him.

Jen said...

Wow...sounds like he's allergic. That's something you'll want to keep an eye on as he gets over so you can let his teachers, etc., know. Bummer for you. But look at the bright side...that'll definitely help you keep wearing your skinny clothes! :) If it makes you feel better, I gave up sweets for Lent (voluntarily), so I'm in solidarity with you. :) I feel your pain.

Gilbrides said...

I'm so sorry! I had to give up anything dairy for at least the first 3 months of both of my daughters lives. It is SO HARD!!! I wish you the best of luck!!

Natalie said...

Ooo... that's the worst. I had to try that for awhile with Sadie because we thought it was why she was colicky. Turns out a screaming baby + a sleep-deprived AND chocolate-deprived mommy is NOT a good combination. Luckily chocolate didn't end up being the problem. :) Good luck!

Josh and Kristen said...

How sad. I am sorry! At least it won't last forever. And, thanks for the permission to eat a little more for you! Don't worry. I will.