Monday, March 26, 2012

A soon-to-be thing of the past

So, this post will be slightly embarrassing for my Scottie, but since this is my journal, I'm going to type it out anyway.

Scottie is 11 years old. And still wetting the bed at night. We've talked to his pediatrician several times about this. Medications were always an option, but I just didn't feel right about using them. For one, the med's stop the wetting, but when the med's are stopped, the wetting starts right back up. For two, I didn't want to medicate my little boy if I didn't have to.

A monitor has always been an option, but they're fairly expensive, and I can find a hundred different ways to spend $80+ dollars. I've liked the idea of the monitor because it actually teaches the brain how to respond when they feel the urge to go, and they can get up and take care of it. But, honestly, I was a little skeptical, and I LOVE my sleep and I was selfish and didn't want to get up to care of it.

So, we kept putting it off and putting it off. But, we decided around his 11th birthday that it was just time to do it. We could continue spending money on pull-ups, or we could spend some money on this, and, hopefully, be able to use it for Gavin, too.

Anyway, we got this around his birthday time - about 6 weeks ago - and he has used it almost every night since then. The first few nights, Brandon got up with him when the monitor went off to help him. (Scott's request. He absolutely REFUSED to have me help him since he's a growing, maturing boy, and I'm a girl.) The instructions state the the trainee needs to actually get out of bed and stand up before they turn the alarm off. That way they're taking action, rather than just rolling over and turning it off and ignoring it. Then, they can go about changing their underwear. (We actually put Scott in underwear, clipped on the monitor, and then had him put pull-ups on so we didn't have to change the sheets every day.)

After the first few nights, Scott was able to take care of it himself. Over the weeks, we have watched the accidents get fewer and fewer. The amount that he wets before he stops himself has gotten less and less. And, the past four nights, he has slept without the alarm at all and has gone the whole night (or getting up once himself to go to the bathroom) without an accident!

He is SO proud of himself, as are we. We looked at several different monitors, and even bought one that was more expensive than the one we ended up with. But, when we got home and read the reviews on it, we decided to take it back and get this other one (which, is cheaper.) I HIGHLY recommend this. It takes parents involvement for a little bit, but it is SO worth it. :)

Next up, is Gavin! And then potty training the Bear.

So, if you're a parent out there dealing with night time accidents, I really recommend a monitor. This is the one we got: http://bedwettingstore.com/wet-stop3-bedwetting-alarm.html. It's got good reviews, and it's just about the cheapest monitor out there. For $50, and the awesome feeling Scottie has that he has now accomplished this, is great!

Great job, Scottie! We love you.


LOVE this kids personality!

5 comments:

Patti said...

Yay!!!!! This is awesome news!!!!

Sandra said...

My hubby had to do the whole monitor also. I think some kids are just deeper sleepers. I'm wondering about BriLynn. She had stopped wetting the bed when she was potty trained but then six months later started again. I'm sick of putting diapers on her. Where she is three I'm not too worried but if it continues after she is four I may look into getting a device.

The Woolley's said...

Way to go Scottie!!

Natalie said...

We went that route with one our kids as well with raving success! So glad it worked for him as well!

Jill said...

Yes this is an embarassing post for him...but thanks for sharing. Who knows how many desperate parents out there will benefit from his story. Good job on finding solutions!