Monday, March 26, 2012

Projects, pt. 2

Now, time for the downstairs bathroom. Small, no windows, dim lighting, blah white/off white/nondescript paint, ugly gold light fixture with even uglier light covers . . . You get the idea. So, we decided to paint it. Finally. We have had absolutely NO inspiration when it came to this bathroom, so it has stayed the same for the past 4+ years since we moved in. But, we got sick of it. So, we decided that we were going to paint it no matter what. We were going to find some colors that we liked and just do it. So, we did!


A cute Toady with an ugly light fixture


Again, a cute Toady, but with plain, boring, blah walls


Plain. Boring.

We headed to Home Depot to look for paint samples and get the paint mixed, and possibly get a new light fixture. So, while the paint was being mixed, we wandered over to the lighting area and found a fixture that we loved! Brushed nickel (which is our color choice for our accessories in the house), with four sockets for bulbs. And, it was on clearance. For $3!!! So, of course, we grabbed it.

Then, we headed home to prep the bathroom. Brandon fixed, smoothed, and evened out some places while I washed the walls and started taping. The ugly gold light fixture was taken down, and the covers taken off the sockets. Then, it was time for bed. The next morning, after the boys were in school, I headed downstairs to do some painting! Bear was SO good. I turned on Blue's Clues for him (his show of choice) and he's alternate between watching that, and coming in to see what I was doing.

We painted three walls an antique white, and the fourth wall, the door wall, we painted a sage green. Tate Olive is the color, I believe. Of course, two coats were needed, so we got that done, put the light fixture in and the covers back in place and a shower curtain hung up. It was a HUGE improvement!


The green and the antique white


The antique white - doesn't look too much different in pictures, but it's a vast improvement in real life!

But, I decided it wasn't done. We talked about it and decided to put a quote on the wall. We looked and looked and chose a Dumbledore quote from book 1 of Harry Potter: "It's not our abilities that make us what we are; it is our choices." I haven't cut out the vinyl letters yet, but will soon. I still felt like something was missing, though, so I turned to Pinterest for ideas, and came up with a tree!

Yes, a tree! I started looking online for vinyl trees that I liked, and found one that I fell in love with that I could afford. (Vinyl can be REALLY expensive!) But, it was black. And, I preferred brown. So, I started looking at stenciling, but couldn't find a cheap stencil to use. Then, a friend of mine suggested a projector. *Light bulb* Yeah!

So, I printed off a tree that I really liked onto some vellum, borrowed a projector from said friend, and went to work! And, I love how it turned out! It was SO fun to do. I like painting rooms and watching them transform, but this was fun. :) And, every time I walk down the stairs, and glance to my left, I can see my little tree in the bathroom, and I just feel giddy inside!



The projected image - here we go!


Halfway done with the brown


The trunk and branches are complete!


Time to paint the leaves


Halfway done with the leaves


A closeup


I worked right around the light switch and the t.p. holder


All finished! Doesn't it look awesome?


My cute little tree!

3 comments:

ShazBraz said...

It really did come out so cute!! The tree I painted in our living room will die with the remodel and I'm pretty sad about losing it.

I was going to say that we have that same light fixture in our bathroom and we spray painted it and put in new (from DI) glass covers, but $3!! Goodness!! That is a deal!

The Woolley's said...

That is way awesome! That is a great Idea, how fun!

Jen said...

I love the tree! So cute!