Thursday, May 26, 2011

Nursing

Two weeks ago, my baby turned 18 months old. Two weeks ago, I stopped nursing him. Two weeks ago, after I put my baby to bed, I sobbed while my husband held me in his arms and told me it would be okay.

Each baby has been nursed a little bit longer than his previous sibling. Not a conscious act - it just happened that way based on circumstances in our lives at that particular time. I was completely comfortable nursing my baby at 18 months. Just once a day, in the evening right before bedtime. It was our wind-down time. (Occasionally, if he had a really rough time in church, I'd nurse him just to help him get through the final hour of sacrament meeting.)

Please excuse me here while I reminisce and become emotional . . .

Nursing was rough for us at first. He nursed right after birth like a champ, and nursed so often that I finally had to ask a nurse to feed him a bottle during our hospital stay because the colostrum just wasn't enough for him. Plus, I was sore. A few days later, my milk came in with a vengeance. I was so full and hard that he couldn't nurse, and found his meals more frequently coming from a bottle.

I was heartbroken. I'm that woman that absolutely loves nursing. I love the pull of their lips, the pouts and the sighs and the grunts as my babies nurse. I love watching them, and catching their eye and having them pull off just long enough to give me a milky grin, then it's right back down to business.

Listening to Connor cry in the dr.'s office after his circumcision was so painful. I was rock hard, and he was hungry and needed comfort and I couldn't give him any milk. He couldn't latch on. I cried right along with him. I asked Brandon for a blessing when we got home, but still ended up giving him a bottle. After the boys were in bed, I was desperate, so turned to Google to see if I could find some answers.

I did, and I was able to nurse him again. It was an answer to prayers, and I have thanked my Heavenly Father so many times for that wonderful gift. The answer to my question of how to get him to nurse just leapt off the screen, and I cried again.

Then, a few months later, he got a bad diaper rash. Then his whole body broke out into a rash. We visited the dr. (not our normal doctor) who told us to wash his body with Head and Shoulders shampoo. That his skin was just really dry and the shampoo would help. It didn't.

We went back to our normal doctor who prescribed us several creams, and some strong hydrocortisone ointment to put on him daily. It helped. Until we ran out of cream and then the rash came back. It got to the point where his skin was literally peeling off his body. We went back to the dr. and I asked for allergy testing. They denied it, saying that they didn't do allergy testing in infants that young. I didn't care. At that point, I demanded it, and they finally complied.

Four weeks later (after many, many phone calls to the allergist) we learned he was allergic to dairy. I immediately cut out all dairy from my diet, and within a few weeks he was better.

Because of his allergies, I took my eating seriously. I made sure I didn't eat dairy, and if I did it was in tiny amounts, and never back to back. His is not what they consider a severe allergy, so if it's cooked into items such as breads or cookies, he does fine. However, if he touches milk he breaks out into a rash and blisters.

For over a year, I nursed him without eating chocolate or dairy. I loved it, but gradually comments started filtering in. Things like, "Aren't you done yet?" Or, "He's over a year, isn't he? Why are you still nursing?" Or, "I couldn't do it. I'd just want my body back." The thing is, these people didn't understand how much we both loved it. At times, I got really frustrated with these (well meaning) people, and I'd turn to Brandon and ask his opinion. He was always 100% supportive of me nursing for however long I wanted.

I finally decided that 18 months was probably the time, even though I didn't want to stop. That day came, and I was super emotional. I nursed him twice that day - once in the morning and then again right before bed. I laid him down, then went back downstairs with Brandon and fell into his arms just sobbing.

I finally realized why I was so emotional. He wasn't a baby anymore. He's possibly (probably, if you ask Brandon) our last one, so it was somewhat hard for me to know that I might have just nursed for the very last time. (Plus, he's not typically a cuddler, so that was my time to cuddle with him.)

I've struggled in the two weeks since then. (I'm crying right now as I type this.) There have been many times where I just want to sit down with him and nurse him. He's missed it too, I can tell. When he's stressed or tired, he'll pull at my shirt. It takes everything I've got not to give in and nurse him. I have to keep reminding myself that it wouldn't be healthy for him right now, since I have introduced dairy back into my diet. But, still, I miss it, even though I know it's fine to stop. He's old enough, and I feel blessed to have been able to nurse him at all.

I guess this long, rambling post is just to remind me about our journey. I can't believe he's 18 months old already. It went by too fast. He's supposed to still be a little baby - not a toddler. I'm going to blink tomorrow and he'll be ten, and going into 5th grade, and I'm going to feel old and be sad. So, I'm going to try to cherish this time I have with him and love him when he's still little.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing that, Renee. I'm proud of you for being strong enough to know what's best for your little ones and to follow through and stick to your guns--whether that means continuing or deciding to stop.

And sweetheart...having a ten year old does not make you old. Did you miss the memo? We aren't getting old. We're staying young forever! :)

Give those babies a squeeze for me. Love you, girl. Hang in there.

Jen said...

P.S. I LOVE the new set-up of your blog! Super cute! :)

The Woolley's said...

Renee, you are super mom!! Way to stick to nursing and way to go so long! My goal is always one year, but if it goes longer, okay...although I've yet to go longer. It seems each kid grows up faster. Clara is only 2 months and yet to me it's, holy cow! She's already 2 months! I even keep telling Anna to stop growing up so fast...but she refuses ; P Thanks for sharing!!

Rachelle said...

I enjoyed your post. Nursing is so emotional for me as well. I have struggled A LOT to nurse each of my children and it has been hard but rewarding. When Sam was 1 year old we saw a new doctor just after having moved to Texas. She told me that it was time for me to start weaning him. It was very surprising to me to have a doctor tell me that and when I asked why she had no good explanation... she just thought it was time.
She said, "after all... you don't want to nurse him until he's 3". It was so wierd to me and I actually ended up not going back to her. Anyway that was lots of babbling... I just think that it is good that you use your instincts to do what is really best for your kiddos.

JanaG said...

I have to say I was probably one of those people that made one of those comments that annoyed and hurt you and I apologize. I never said anything to make you feel guilty about what you decided to do, I said it because I don't understand! Because I am one of those mothers that hates to nurse. I never enjoyed it (probably because it was incredibly painful for me. I was still blistered and bleeding at 6 months) but I always nursed as long as I could because I know it is best for the babe. I get the same enjoyment giving my babies a bottle as you do nursing! I LOVE snuggling down to give them a bottle, tickle their toes, stroke their cheeks to get a grin...!! It was my favorite time of day.

I am proud of you and applaud you for being so dedicated with your diet. If what I ate dictated what my child got from a bottle you bet your bootie I would have changed my diet too under the same circumstances!

I too am in the same boat as you, Bri is just 2 months older than Conner and most likely our last (unless the Lord says otherwise!) as well. It makes me sad to think my baby is growing up. :( I relish every new accomplishment she makes as if she were my first child not my last!

Love you.