So, the night of the big date came. I'd been so excited all day long. Yeah! I couldn't decide, though, where to go for dinner. I had a couple of options in mind, so at 5:30 when we dropped the kids off at the babysitter's house, and I still hadn't decided, I let Brandon decide. We chose Wingers since we haven't been there since before we were married.

What a handsome guy!
So, we headed to Wingers. It was snowing pretty steadily by this point and the roads were covered with slush. We hoped that meant the restaurant would be pretty slow - and it was fairly slow when we got there. I guess we beat the dinner rush.
Anyway, about halfway through our dinner, Brandon asked if I was going to tell him what we were doing for the rest of the evening. So, I lied to him. Ah! Yes, I really lied to my husband. *sigh* I told him that we were headed up to the university for a concert. What type of concert? I told him that the vocal students were putting on a mini-opera showcasing different selections from different operas.
His response?
"Oh, that should be . . . interesting. I guess it doesn't matter as long as I'm with you."
Aww!! Melt my heart. I felt the tiniest bit guilty for lying to him, but I knew it'd be worth it just to see the look on his face when I told him what we were really doing. Anyway, we finished dinner, then headed out into the snowstorm. By this point, it was snowing even more than when we had come in. Big, fat flakes coming down fast and hard.

Out in the snowstorm
So, we got in the van, and headed up to the university on very slippery roads. We had the music turned up loud and were singing our hearts out to "Highway 20 Ride" by the Zac Brown Band. Just before we reached the stadium, I turned off the music and said, "I hope you won't be too mad at me when I tell you that I lied about going to the opera."
He looked at me with a funny look on his face.
I continued, "We ARE headed up to the university, but instead of the opera, we're going to the gymnastics meet."
He got a good laugh at my deviousness and asked who the meet was against. When I told him it was against the Utes, he got a big grin on his face and said, "Score!!" (When we lived down in Salt Lake, a frequent date for us was to head up to the U and watch the gymnastics meets up there. The days of Teresa Wolf . . .) So, it was pretty awesome that the USU/U meet happened to fall on the 25th. :) Okay, actually as soon as I saw that it was on the 25th, I decided that's when our date should be. :)
So, we headed into the stadium - okay, trudged through the snow to the stadium is more accurate; so glad I wore my boots - and walked most of the way around the stadium so we could be close to the bars. We sat about five rows back right between the beam and the bars. Awesome seats!

At the gym meet
We had an awesome time. The U won (which was expected) and I had a lot of fun cheering for both of "my" teams. (I was a Uintah Ute in high school, and took piano lessons at USU, so I get the best of both!) Brandon had no idea what we were doing (which is great for me - he somehow manages to figure things out), and I was able to keep it a secret! He got a huge kick out of my "lie" and we had a blast at the gym meet.
After the meet was over, we came home and put the kids to bed, then sat down and watched NCIS while we ate some homemade French Silk Pie. Brandon's favorite! Okay, mine too!
It was a perfect date, and it was so fun to plan and ask and anticipate the whole month of February. :) Thanks, Brandon, for humoring me, and having fun with me. I love you!
What a handsome guy!
So, we headed to Wingers. It was snowing pretty steadily by this point and the roads were covered with slush. We hoped that meant the restaurant would be pretty slow - and it was fairly slow when we got there. I guess we beat the dinner rush.
Anyway, about halfway through our dinner, Brandon asked if I was going to tell him what we were doing for the rest of the evening. So, I lied to him. Ah! Yes, I really lied to my husband. *sigh* I told him that we were headed up to the university for a concert. What type of concert? I told him that the vocal students were putting on a mini-opera showcasing different selections from different operas.
His response?
"Oh, that should be . . . interesting. I guess it doesn't matter as long as I'm with you."
Aww!! Melt my heart. I felt the tiniest bit guilty for lying to him, but I knew it'd be worth it just to see the look on his face when I told him what we were really doing. Anyway, we finished dinner, then headed out into the snowstorm. By this point, it was snowing even more than when we had come in. Big, fat flakes coming down fast and hard.
Out in the snowstorm
So, we got in the van, and headed up to the university on very slippery roads. We had the music turned up loud and were singing our hearts out to "Highway 20 Ride" by the Zac Brown Band. Just before we reached the stadium, I turned off the music and said, "I hope you won't be too mad at me when I tell you that I lied about going to the opera."
He looked at me with a funny look on his face.
I continued, "We ARE headed up to the university, but instead of the opera, we're going to the gymnastics meet."
He got a good laugh at my deviousness and asked who the meet was against. When I told him it was against the Utes, he got a big grin on his face and said, "Score!!" (When we lived down in Salt Lake, a frequent date for us was to head up to the U and watch the gymnastics meets up there. The days of Teresa Wolf . . .) So, it was pretty awesome that the USU/U meet happened to fall on the 25th. :) Okay, actually as soon as I saw that it was on the 25th, I decided that's when our date should be. :)
So, we headed into the stadium - okay, trudged through the snow to the stadium is more accurate; so glad I wore my boots - and walked most of the way around the stadium so we could be close to the bars. We sat about five rows back right between the beam and the bars. Awesome seats!
At the gym meet
We had an awesome time. The U won (which was expected) and I had a lot of fun cheering for both of "my" teams. (I was a Uintah Ute in high school, and took piano lessons at USU, so I get the best of both!) Brandon had no idea what we were doing (which is great for me - he somehow manages to figure things out), and I was able to keep it a secret! He got a huge kick out of my "lie" and we had a blast at the gym meet.
After the meet was over, we came home and put the kids to bed, then sat down and watched NCIS while we ate some homemade French Silk Pie. Brandon's favorite! Okay, mine too!
It was a perfect date, and it was so fun to plan and ask and anticipate the whole month of February. :) Thanks, Brandon, for humoring me, and having fun with me. I love you!
5 comments:
Way fun! I've never been to a gymnastic meet, that would be really cool! I'm always the one who guesses what we are up to, poor David tries...but yeah. What a great wife you are!
Awesome!! I'm dying to do something like this for Jared!
Awwwww. :)
How cool are you?! That is just too funny, I read through all of the asking/answering/dating and I'm impressed that you guys are so cute and creative!
Way to keep your courtship alive!! Love ya Renee!
Post a Comment