Monday, September 21, 2009

We're home from the hospital


Yesterday "Daaaaadd. I'm waiting for my lunch!

We're home and Gavin's doing great! We had a total of 3 1/2 hours in the hospital (much better than Primary Children's, although, we do LOVE Primary!) They checked us all in, then had us wait for a few minutes before they took us back. They then checked his temperature, his oxygen level in his blood, got him some surgery jammies, then took us back to the children's room - their pre-op and post-op room, not a play room.


Daddy & Gavin after checking in


Even though we got him up early, and he'd had NO breakfast, he was like this all morning.


Getting his temperature taken


He wasn't too sure about this oxygen monitor

We changed Gavin into his surgery jammies (although he refused to wear the cap - I don't blame him), and then waited for a little bit. A nurse came in to finalize things and realized that his b-day was wrong. Even though the hospital had called us last Monday to make sure everything was correct. It was wrong then, too, so I corrected them and supposedly they changed it. It was correct on some things, and wrong on others. *sigh*


Waiting for his turn in surgery

Anyway, the anesthesiologist came in, we signed his release form, and then they were ready to take him. No Verced or anything. You could tell he was getting nervous with all these people hovering around telling him it was time to go away from Mom & Dad. (We explained everything last night, but he was still a bit nervous.)

The nurse picked him up, though, and he was allowed to take his blanket and Jackson (his dog) back with him. He protested, but the nurse asked about Jackson, and that was that. He was fine. I admit, I had tears in my eyes. That's just what mom's do.

I also realized at this point, that (as Brandon put it) "Gavin has been through more in life than I have." I've never had general anesthesia. When I had my wisdom teeth out, I was fully awake. Just epidurals with labor. But, no general anesthesia! I don't know that I'm sorry! :)


Mommy & Gavin

So, I checked my email and read for a bit, and he was done! The dr. came in about 25 minutes after they had taken him to say he was done and in recovery. He said his tonsils were huge and nasty, and that he had found some (sorry for the visual) green pus on his adenoids which indicated a chronic infection. Which, to me, is ironic since he always seems to be the healthiest of all of us.

Anyway, he was brought back in and was silently crying, but the nurse put him in my arms so I could rock him. Brandon brought his laptop so we started Disney's Chip and Dale for him and he was content. We sat there for about 45 minutes, then they had him walk around for a bit to check his dizziness, then they sent us home.


Watching Chip 'n' Dale


I had to go to the bathroom after about 30 minutes of holding him, so had Brandon switch me places. When I came back, this is how I found him!


Kind of loopy after his walk

He's doing really well right now - he ate some oatmeal and is holding it down, his throat doesn't hurt yet (although I'm sure it will), and he's in good spirits. His brothers just got home from spending the night at Grandma's and he was happy to see them, but especially happy to see the smiley face balloon that Grandma brought him!

Thank you, again, for all your thoughts and prayers - we really do appreciate it. Now with the rest of Brandon's "day off" he's going to pick our ripe peaches (they keep falling right now and bruising when they hit the ground, and we've been SO busy that we haven't had a chance to pick them yet), then after peach picking, he'll be working on the yard so that we can get our grass planted before the first frost! Lots to do! Thank you again! We love you all.

~~~~UPDATE~~~~


So, after his breakfast of oatmeal at 11:30 - 12:00, Gavin started to get really cold. I have a mattress warmer on my bed, so I went and laid him down on my bed, turned the warmer on, and piled him up with blankets. He fell asleep, waking only once when I went in to check on him, and slept until 3:30 when I woke him up. By that point, he was really hurting, so we gave him some fresh peaches to eat, along with his Lortab. He rested in my arms for a bit (even letting me get a 20 minute catnap), and is now downstairs watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Brandon had to run to Home Depot a few minutes ago to get some stuff for the yard, and Gavin was just heartbroken that he couldn't go with Daddy. You can tell he's really not feeling well right now - as we expected! Thanks again for all the prayers.

5 comments:

Gilbrides said...

So glad to hear everything went well. What a brave son you have! And you are so brave yourself!! I am so grateful I haven't had to go through hospital stuff with my girls!! Health is such a blessing. Hope Gavin recovers very well and that everything is nice and boring around your house until the baby comes :)

Jen said...

Yay! Glad he came through surgery so well--what a trooper! This should all be old hat to you by now, Renee--gosh your family has been through a lot of surgeries! :) Glad things are working out, and he'll be sooooooo much healthier now without his tonsils and adenoids. It'll be a huge blessing in the long run (my sister has been 100% healthier since she had her tonsils out--she used to get wicked strep about 4-5 times per year, and she hasn't had it since!). Hang in there, girl! And thanks for the post! (I LOVE your sweater!! And your haircut is adorable!) :)

Nathan and Shanna said...

Glad to hear that all went well! You are such a good mommy! Take care and know that you're in our prayers!

Valeri Crockett said...

I agree with Jen. . .you guys have been through lots of surgeries! I'm glad it all worked out. Gavin is such a trooper. I hope his recovery is quick;) I wish I lived there so I could take the boys and give you some breaks! I totally understand pregnancy crying and a day off helps sometimes!
Love ya,
Val

Jen S said...

The first three days were the worst after Josh had his Tonsils and adenoids out. Definitely a LONG three days, but after that, seemed a little bit better each day. Good luck...we're praying for you!!