A couple of weeks ago, Scott came home from school with a notice that the school orchestra was starting up. Since he is in 4th grade, he was eligible to participate. With certain instruments - violin, viola, cello, bass - free instruction was also available.
Scott came home almost dancing with anticipation. "Please, Mom, can I be in the orchestra." So, we played the "what-if" game. If we let you, what instrument would you want to play? Would you be responsible and practice? What about lessons - if they start early in the morning, would you still want to do it? He answered that he wanted the violin and that he'd be responsible.
So, Brandon took Scott to a meeting where everything was explained to them. They told them of several music stores where you can rent violins for a monthly fee. Scott was sold. We told him we had to wait until Brandon got paid to go get the violin, the music stand, and the three required books. Every day when we got home from school, he'd run to the mailbox, bring the mail inside, and ask, "Mom, are any of these Dad's paycheck?" :)
So, on Wednesday, we went down to The Book Table, where we were able to rent a violin for him. We'll pay on it monthly, and after two years, we'll own it. He was sized at a 1/2 size violin, so by the time the two years is up, he'll have moved up in size - either to a 3/4 or even a full size. He was borderline between the 1/2 and 3/4, but the gal at the music store told us it's not wise to go up a size with violins. Get what fits, and exchange later as they grow.
So, Scott will be learning the violin. He's been asking and asking to learn the piano, and I've been a bit reluctant because of his finger. His middle one is growing very sideways, and his pointer finger hasn't grown at all since the accident. I taught him some of "When the Saints Go Marching" (just the right hand), and he had a difficult time stretching his fingers out to the right keys. I should probably just teach him - he'll adapt, right?
Anyway, lessons start on Monday, and he is SO excited! His violin is in his room, and we put the CD that came with one of the books into the CD player for him yesterday, and I thought he just might implode. He doesn't show outward excitement very often - he usually just smiles really big, sometimes bounces up and down, and very often will throw his arms around me when he's excited about something. I'm excited too. This is a great opportunity for him and will be good for all of us. B's even talking about getting him a violin next year when he's in 4th grade! :)

I got my music stand!!

Hmm - do I like this one . . .

. . . or this one??

Let's try this one.

Says Connor, "I'm bored. I think I'll . . .

. . . eat my diaper bag.

"Okay, I got my violin and my case."

Taking them for a "test-drive"

Leaving the store with his violin - he's super happy!
Scott came home almost dancing with anticipation. "Please, Mom, can I be in the orchestra." So, we played the "what-if" game. If we let you, what instrument would you want to play? Would you be responsible and practice? What about lessons - if they start early in the morning, would you still want to do it? He answered that he wanted the violin and that he'd be responsible.
So, Brandon took Scott to a meeting where everything was explained to them. They told them of several music stores where you can rent violins for a monthly fee. Scott was sold. We told him we had to wait until Brandon got paid to go get the violin, the music stand, and the three required books. Every day when we got home from school, he'd run to the mailbox, bring the mail inside, and ask, "Mom, are any of these Dad's paycheck?" :)
So, on Wednesday, we went down to The Book Table, where we were able to rent a violin for him. We'll pay on it monthly, and after two years, we'll own it. He was sized at a 1/2 size violin, so by the time the two years is up, he'll have moved up in size - either to a 3/4 or even a full size. He was borderline between the 1/2 and 3/4, but the gal at the music store told us it's not wise to go up a size with violins. Get what fits, and exchange later as they grow.
So, Scott will be learning the violin. He's been asking and asking to learn the piano, and I've been a bit reluctant because of his finger. His middle one is growing very sideways, and his pointer finger hasn't grown at all since the accident. I taught him some of "When the Saints Go Marching" (just the right hand), and he had a difficult time stretching his fingers out to the right keys. I should probably just teach him - he'll adapt, right?
Anyway, lessons start on Monday, and he is SO excited! His violin is in his room, and we put the CD that came with one of the books into the CD player for him yesterday, and I thought he just might implode. He doesn't show outward excitement very often - he usually just smiles really big, sometimes bounces up and down, and very often will throw his arms around me when he's excited about something. I'm excited too. This is a great opportunity for him and will be good for all of us. B's even talking about getting him a violin next year when he's in 4th grade! :)
I got my music stand!!
Hmm - do I like this one . . .
. . . or this one??
Let's try this one.
Says Connor, "I'm bored. I think I'll . . .
. . . eat my diaper bag.
"Okay, I got my violin and my case."
Taking them for a "test-drive"
Leaving the store with his violin - he's super happy!
7 comments:
That is way awesome!! Congrats and good luck!
I'm so excited for Scott! I used to play the violin and it is so much fun! To see him this excited and know his personality - I bet he sticks with it and does really well. Good job mom and dad too :)
Can't wait to "hear" Scott's first concert thru the blog too!
Wow Scott I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to hear you play! I can't believe his in the fourth grade either. Well yes I can but boy has it flown by!
How exciting! Hope he enjoys it--I'm sure he'll do a geat job!
PS. I LOVE your header picture!!!
Good luck. I hope he loves it. By the way that is a beautiful picture at the top of your blog.
That's awesome! I'm sure he'll do great playing the violin! And you should TOTALLY teach him piano. It would be awesome physical therapy for his hands, and besides, if this guy can do it, so can Scott:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7CeoUZbW3Y
Super cool!! I played the violin when I was his age too! I loved it and wished I would have been able to keep playing. Ash wants to play (has for 3 years now). I am considering lessons for her.
The concerts are the best! Christmas music here we come! :)
Post a Comment