Tuesday, July 6, 2010

B's baptism and Pinewood Derby

Wow, it's been a LONG time since I've posted regularly. Life just gets busy, ya know? But, here's the long-ago promised post on B's baptism. Here goes!

B was baptized on May 1, 2010. We had wanted the 11:00 slot for baptisms, but waited too long to call and have the Primary Pres. set it up, and the only time they had left was 9:00. Not fun with a baby, and lots of extra people in the house to get ready.

But, we made it, even though me, Connor, and my sister were a bit late. (I should realize by now that with a baby that needs to eat and get ready, I should plan on having some extra time for those "little" things that happen.) But, we were pretty sure they wouldn't start without us. Especially with me being the pianist, and, oh yeah, the mother of the baptizee.


B in his new church suit

So, we let B plan the program, so he decided to have "Nephi's Courage" as the opening hymn, and then he asked Scottie to give the opening prayer. Pretty cool for that nine year old to be asked to pray at his brother's baptism! After that, his Grandpa Goodrich gave a talk on baptism, during which time he gave B a new backpack and returned his lost football. B was pretty excited - he thought his football was long gone! Thanks Grandpa!

Then, he and Brandon went into the font and Brandon baptized him. I love watching my kids come up out of the baptismal font - so clean and pure. I love the look on their face, and the Spirit that is present in the room. It's an awesome feeling!

While the boys changed, we sang primary songs until they came back out. Then, B's uncle Mike gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. B sure looks up to his uncle Mike, so was excited that Mike said he'd give a talk. After the talk was the confirmation. At this point, Connor was getting tired and fussy, so I didn't hear much of it, but again, the Spirit was so strong. Again - awesome! The closing song was "When I Am Baptized" and his aunt Charity gave the closing prayer.

Since his baptism, I've seen a change in B. Of course, he still fights with his brothers, gets mad at me, and sometimes pouts, but he seems more sincere when he prays. He has had a great concern for me - asking if I'm okay, or if I need anything. Praying for me and Connor - especially when we've had bad nights and I'm exhausted and ready for a good night's sleep. He just seems more grown up. *sigh* Bittersweet.


Brandon & I with B


Brandon & B at the tabernacle. So handsome!

After the baptism, we went back to the house for brunch - ham, bagels, muffins, hot chocolate and juice, and fresh fruit. It was perfect! And, the plus side - no one got hurt this year!!!

Congrats my little B bug! I love you. LOTS! And, thanks to all of you that came and supported us. We love you all!

Now, onto the Pinewood Derby. After everyone had packed up and gone home, we had a couple of hours before the Derby started. The boys were SO anxious and excited. B's car was in the first group, and his car took a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place!! He was stoked!


Here it comes, here it comes!!!


Yes! 1st place!

Scott's group was next, and his car also took a 1st, 2nd and 3rd! They were super excited, and happy, and bouncy.


Yes - Scott's in 1st!

It was so fun for me to see their different personalities shine through. B was very vocal - "Come on, come on! Yes, I won! And, Freedman's took 2nd! Awesome! Whoa!!"



Vs. Scott, who kept his emotions very internalized. He'd sit at the end of the track, kind of rocking back and forth, talking to himself. When he won, we'd hear a "Yes!" and that was about it. He did give us a thumbs up at one point, though!



The boys were able to race their cars against each other at the end of the Derby, and B's came in second, so he was VERY disappointed. Scott, however, was elated! He had a HUGE smile on his face that couldn't be wiped off! Congrats, boys!


Ooh - who's gonna win?


Yes!! My car got 1st!


Mine got 2nd. Boo.


Don't know who the white and black car belongs to, so between my boys, Scott came in 1st, and B came in 2nd.

After the Derby we were all worn out, so we headed home, got pizza, and just chilled the rest of the night. All in all, it was a great day!

No comments: